Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cold Season Is Coming-Have 3 Ingredients In Your Kitchen


I tend to be a bit old-fashioned when it comes to cooking. I like the real deal. Sometimes you just don’t feel well enough for the good stuff, and you really just want something to make you feel better. I know that when I have a cold or sore throat, I just wish my mom would appear with a bowl of chicken soup. Well, my mom lives 1000 miles away and while she is sympathetic when I’m sick, she can’t make the soup. In an earlier post I gave you the old-fashioned recipe for chicken soup, and it is delicious. It is also the last thing I’m going to do when I’m sick. Instead, I keep 3 ingredients on my shelf during cold season. I can make a fairly tasty chicken soup in less than 3 minutes. It opens up your head, soothes your throat and certainly is better than anything you will get out of a red and white can.





Ingredients:
1 package ramen noodles (remove the seasoning packet, and throw it away)
1 can chicken broth or ½ of a 32 oz. carton (I use low sodium, but any will do)
1 can chicken (on the store shelf near the tuna)


Boil the broth either in a pan, or in the microwave. Crunch up the block of noodle and put them in the boiling broth. Drain the can of chicken and dump it in. You have chicken soup, and you will be amazed how good it tastes when you are sick. If you have time and feel good, make the good stuff from my other recipe.

15 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OH Girl this sounds so YUMMY and easy to do...I love it thanks...May you have a healthy day my friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Carla said...

Thanks for the great idea!

Sue said...

Gloria-it is easy, and surprisingly it tastes pretty good when you feel really bad.

Carla-I still like the "real" stuff much better, but who wants to cook when they are sick?

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, we are going to have to try this. It's causing one of those slap your head moments - "Now, why didn't I think of that?"

Sue said...

Relyn-you come up with things when your kids move out of the house and you are too far away to bring them soup!

JUST ME said...

Thank god you told people to throw away that devil seasoning packet. It's like a year's worth of salt.

Sue said...

jm-poison in a packet, for sure.

Glennis said...

Good idea - smart to toss the packet!!

If I ever make ramen by the directions, I usually use about 1/2 or less of the packet.

Sue said...

g-the only ramen I ever made was the kind in the cup, but it is really salty too. I do use the noodles for this, and for a couple salads.

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Who would have thought of that,not me thats for sure!!All the best,Chrissy

Sue said...

Hi Chrissy...thanks for coming by.

Kelsey said...

I actually tried this the last time I was sick. I even made it at work! It is super easy, and while not as good as the homemade version, it really hits the spot when you don't feel well. It opened my head right up!

Sue said...

Hey Kelsey-I'm glad it worked for you. I hate it when you are sick:)

Mom

koralee said...

Wow...I never knew Chicken Noodle soup could be that easy to make..thanks for the tip! Hope you had a great holiday..but I bet it is nice to get home! Thanks again for your lovely comments...they warm my heart just like your soup!

Sue said...

Koralee-Thank you! It is always nice to be home. Now, if I could just get caught up with everything!