Sunday, September 13, 2009

Curling Ribbon + Cello Wrap = Gift

I learned in my 20’s that you can make a gift out of about anything if you package it correctly. You don’t really have to spend a fortune on a gift, you just want the recipient to know that you were thinking of them. I always keep a roll of cello wrap (you can pick it up at Wal-Mart, Target or any similar store). I also keep an assortment of curling ribbon in various colors on hand all the time. I can’t count the times I have pulled out the box of ribbon and transformed something I had in the house, or something I picked up inexpensively into a clever gift.

You can mix the colors for special occasions. I use white with pink or blue for baby gifts; red, white and blue when I'm taking a treat to the hostess of a 4th of July party, orange in the fall, red and green during the holidays and so on.




I found this leaf dish at Wal-Mart for $2.50. I added a few pieces of fall colored chocolate, pulled out my cello and ribbon and turned it into a great little birthday gift for a friend.

I always use a generous amount of ribbon of different lengths. Curling the ribbon is simple. As you can see, I simply placed my thumb under the ribbon and drag the scissors under the ribbon, leaving a curled tail.

Dressed up in Mardi Gras colors are 6 homemade oatmeal cookies. (The recipe will be posted here in the near future). These make great party favors for your guests, or can be used as holiday gifts for friends and family with red and green (or blue and white) ribbon. For very little money, you can make several gifts.

You can also dress up a wrapped package. This box is wrapped in a grocery bag that I cut into a flat piece of paper. It was transformed with a bit of ribbon into a beautiful package for my sister’s fall birthday.

You can use this technique to wrap bottles of body lotion or shower gel, various homemade food items, a package of flavored tea or coffee or any small container filled with seasonal candy. You don’t break the bank, and you make someone happy. Who can ask for more than that?

12 comments:

J Rodney said...

I love all of your ideas, and they are pretty frugal too. I used to do this all the time, and I always had lots of ribbon.

The sad truth is that we do not socialize down here in South Florida, so there are no one to bring presents for. In Denmark where I had lots of friends and family I often found the need for a hostess gift.

The one time I went to visit a friend here in South Florida, I made a hostess gift out of a nice pot from Dollar Tree and a chili pepper plant from the garden. I'm so sad that my friend moved north.

flit said...

I loved your teaser on Gather - very effective.

You're doing a great job with your blog!

Sue said...

Frug-I still want you to make friends in Florida. That is my wish for you.

Sue said...

Flit-thanks! I'm having fun with it!

Sue said...

Thanks Lexie!

koralee said...

oh I am right along with you on this one...you should see my paper...ribbon...cards..etc. anything to make something ordinary..extraordinary! I love love love packaging and will buy things just for how they are packaged! Love your post today!

Sue said...

koralee-thanks! I agree, sometimes the packaging is more exciting that what is inside!

JUST ME said...

That is awesome. I want that leaf-filled chocolate bowl!!!

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

j-if you were here I'd give it to you. I think chocolate would be good for you right now!

Relyn Lawson said...

I always wrap my wedding gifts like this. But, I use wired french ribbon. It's so very lovely.

Sue said...

Relyn-I love using wired ribbon. During the holidays I go a bit crazy with ribbon and bows.