Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mom, Why Don't My Rice Krispy Treats Taste Like Yours?

It is funny the things you become "famous" for making. I often am asked to bring "my" Rice Krispy Treats to things, even adult things. I can actually cook. I can cook complicated, gourmet things. But, it seems that people think I have a secret recipe that I use for these easy treats, and they request them. There is no secret recipe, but there are a couple of things that I may do differently than others when I make them.


I use real butter. It tastes better than margarine. You can tell a difference. I make double the recipe for the same size pan that others use, so mine are thicker. I also leave out 1/2 cup of Rice Krispies, so mine are more gooey. I also don't mind if I leave an almost melted marshmallow or two in the mixture. It adds texture and no one minds biting into marshmallow goodness.


Spray 9x13 pan with Pam or lightly grease with butter
Ingredients:

6 T. butter

11 1/2 cups Rice Krispy Cereal (you can use store brands)

80 regular sized marshmallows (that is 2 standard bags)


Melt the butter over medium heat, stir in the marshmallows and keep stirring until they are melted. They will scorch easily, so keep stirring and turn them down to low heat if necessary. Remove from heat and quickly stir in Rice Krispies. Scoop into the greased pan and pat down with fingers. Cool slightly (if you can wait that long) and cut into squares. Enjoy!


*Mom hint-It works very well to wet your fingers under the faucet before pressing the mixture into the pan. You may need to wet them a few times as you press. It will keep your fingers from sticking to the treats.












13 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OH YUM!! My kids use to love these when I made them...Also putting butter on your hand will keep them from sticky....Thanks for sharing girl...Hope you are having a great Saturday...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Duckie said...

I haven't made any Rice Krispy Treats in a long time... I'll have to put the cereal on my next grocery list so I can make some.

BTW, I used to take a folded piece of waxed paper to press the mixture into the pan, but more often, I use a rubber spatula... it bends nicely and works really well without sticking to the Krispy Treats.

Sue said...

Gloria-good to see you! I'm having a great day, I got to spend it with my daughter!

Sue

Sue said...

Duckie!

I used to make these for the kids. Then I started making them for my friend's kids. Now I make them all the time, just for us. We can eat an entire pan much too quickly. Thanks for stopping!

Anonymous :) said...

You've inspired me to bake. Great blog. Love your travel tips below also. I'm stunned. Never even dreamed that burglars were prowling hotel parking lots. When I first started reading your story, I thought your tip was going to be always pack beautiful pj's. I was in a hotel once on the 15th floor when the fire alarm went off and the building had to be evacuated. That's when I learned the importance of pajamas.

Unknown said...

My hubby adores Rice Crispie Treats! I'll have to try out your secrets!

We are now empty nesters too, and it always amazes me the things my newly-married daughter calls home to ask me. It's nice to be needed, though.

I had to laugh at Madison's comment above. I left a comment about our Hurricane Katrina evacuation under your last post about travel tips, and Madison's post reminded me that with everything else that went on that trip, we also lost power and then later had the fire alarm go off. Imagine us getting our smuggled animals to the car before hitting the lobby, then finding no one there but us. The desk clerk looks at us like we're nuts. We said, "There was a fire alarm. Was it a false alarm?" He mumbles, "I don't know." Made us feel really safe, and I already told you we weren't in the best part of town... God had our backs for sure.

Blessings,
Cheri

Tonia said...

Oooh - now I know what we're making next time the girls are down here :)

Sue said...

Madison-you never know when you might end up in the lobby. I was really just glad they were thick enough that people couldn't see through them. If you could see my hair in the mornings...you would know that people would have been laughing at that instead of the pjs!

Sue said...

Cheri-that is a bit odd that the front desk didn't know if there was a false alarm. I guess they were probably overwhelmed by the added business. God did have your backs.

Sue said...

Tonia-Glad to be of service:)

koralee said...

Yummy yum...I need to make a batch of yours..I love these things and could eat the whole pan myself...maybe that is why I do not make them that often. Real butter makes everything taste better! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments! Hope your trip was wonderful!

BrightenedBoy said...

What a creative innovation on an ordinary treat! I work in a movie theater, and there are certain people we're convinced can make the popcorn better despite the fact that all you do is put salt, oil, and kernels into a machine.

Sue said...

koralee-I agree about the butter, changes the taste of everything.

BB-maybe they "tweak" the combination a little bit...you never know:)