Sunday, October 18, 2009

I Have Baking Powder...Can I Use It Instead Of Baking Soda?



This was one of those calls from my daughter. She was baking something and I think she really knew the answer already. No! You can’t!


Baking soda and baking powder are both used as leavening agents when baking. In other words, they help batter rise. Baking powder actually contains baking soda, along with cream of tartar. Baking soda is actually Sodium Bicarbonate, a salty substance which reacts with acid in a batter causing bubbles that help with the rising process.

If you do not have baking powder, you can mix 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar to get 1 teaspoon baking powder.

If you do not have baking soda, there really is no substitute.

Did you know that baking soda can be used for various things.
  • I put a few spoonfuls in my kitchen drain and garbage disposal, then pour in a little vinegar. It will bubble up and clean out the drains.
  • You can use it on your toothbrush if you are out of toothpaste.
  • I mix it with salt and use it as a scrub for tea and coffee stains in coffee mugs.
  • Mix with a little water to make a paste and apply to bee stings or insect bites.
  • Put an open box in the refrigerator to absorb odors.
  • Pour some in your bath to soften skin.

8 comments:

Unstoppable Spirit said...

Wow! Thank you for all this information. It was great knowing it.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Sue...girl I remember years ago my grandma brushed her teeth every day with baking soda...Another great Sue post...hope all is well on your side of the mountain my friend..Please come by tomorrow for my 1 year Anniversary party...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Life Laugh Latte said...

A little bloggy love for you on my blog. Come on by:)

koralee said...

Thanks for the tip. Baking soda is amazing!

Sue said...

Happy Sunday everyone!

US-thanks for stopping by and following!

Gloria-wouldn't miss it for the world.

C & H...on my way.

Koralee-my kiddo always has a question or 2 to throw my way!

A Joyful Chaos said...

There are so many uses for baking soda that I keep at least four boxes on hand at all times and only one of them is used for actually baking.

Sue said...

AJC-you are so right. I am sure there are so many more things that I didn't think of for this post.

Lexie said...

i work in a bakery and i almost ruined a batch of blueberry muffins because i used cream of tartar instead of baking powder! AHHHH those little teaspoons make a huge difference, haha!