Sunday, October 4, 2009

Moms Get Sick Too-Our Family "Cure"

I hate having a cold. I don't know how something so minor can make you feel so awful. I'm blaming this one on my flu shot. I got my first flu shot on Wednesday, and by Friday night I was starting to feel a bit off. I'm sneezing, coughing and trying not to think about Swine Flu.

In our house when someone has a cold, it always means a trip to the grocery store for 2 items. SunnyD and Sprite (7Up will work too). You need to know that under normal conditions I wouldn't drink SunnyD if you paid me. I also don't drink Sprite (it's Diet Coke for me). When I'm sick with a cold or sore throat, nothing tastes better. I have no idea of how or why we started making this cocktail for the infirm in our house. I fixed it for my kids from the time they were small, and now that they both live on their own...they make it for themselves. I know it can't really make you better, but it does seem to have some hidden medicinal qualities. So, fill a glass with ice and pour in half Sprite and half SunnyD. I promise you'll feel better. I will also be making my 5 minute chicken soup for lunch. See, I even take my own advice!

*Mom hint-I still think a flu shot is a good idea this year for most people. It was quite easy and I didn't even feel it.

10 comments:

Brian Burke said...

A straight shot of apple cider vinegar works wonders, got the tip off the web last year, had me cured in no time!

Carla said...

Best wishes for feeling better soon! :-)

koralee said...

Oh my ....just what I needed this weekend! I really really am going to try this!!!!! I don't drink Sunny D either but if it works for you...I will give it a try! I have so far missed this cold/flu that has been going around in my home but...tonight my throat is getting that scratchy feeling...please say it's not true!!! xoxoxo Hope you are feeling better my friend!

Sue said...

Brian-a shot of vinegar might be hard to get down, but worth it!

Carla, Koralee-thanks, it hasn't been my best day, but I went to the dr. for meds and should be doing better tomorrow. Koralee-I hope it misses you!

Savvy-Motherhood said...

I woke up feeling sick today and I am willing to try anything! thank yous :)

Sue said...

Ob-it may not make you well, but it will make you feel better! Thanks for stopping by. Hope you feel better soon.

Sue

Kelsey said...

This combo always makes me feel better! Gotta get those fluids down somehow!

Sue said...

Hey Kels-we always have to have the family "cocktail" don't we? Miss you!

Mom

Jen said...

What a great idea! We need a few family sick traditions around here. With the oldest just starting kindergarten, he'd bound to bring home a whole mess of colds this year. I bet this combination would be a wonderful combo to get those fluids in! Thnx!

Sue said...

It certainly worked for my kids, and still does. Once they start school all sorts of "bugs" show up around the house.