Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What Should I Do With This Chicken?

You have chicken in the freezer, but you don't know what to do with it. You know you want it to be fast and easy. Balsamic Chicken is a perfect option. It is also very low in fat, but it doesn't taste like it is.

Ingredients:

Chicken-8 frozen boneless, skinless chicken tenders or 4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts (I like to keep frozen chicken tenders for nights when I'm in a hurry, they cook faster)

2 tsp. Vegetable Oil

2 T. Balsamic Vinegar

1/4 tsp. Thyme

2 tsp. Dijon Mustard

1 cup Chicken Broth

In a skillet, saute the chicken on medium high heat in the oil until both sides are cooked and lightly browned. Stir in chicken broth, thyme, mustard and balsamic vinegar and cover. Allow the chicken to simmer in the sauce 30 minutes or until very tender. I shake the skillet ever 10 minutes or so to make sure the chicken stays coated in the sauce.

I like to serve the chicken with Orzo Pasta. I cook 4 oz. of Orzo in 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of water until the pasta is done and the liquid is almost gone (about 10-15 minutes). It would also be very good with rice. The night I made this dish, we had homemade applesauce. You could serve a green salad instead. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl I'm going to make this tonight...Thanks been wondering what to make for dinner and this is it as I have everything here I need...Now you asked about the post I did on Kyra...well she had 2 heart surgeries now and 4 feeding tubes put in her tummy and 14 throat surgeries so far had the first heart surgery when she was 8 hours old...that's why my family calls her own little miracle baby...we have almost lost her 2 times in 9 months..Hope you have a great day my friend and thanks for the dinner ha ha!!! Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sue said...

Oh Gloria, that must have been so scary for your family. She certainly looks like a healthy little girl. You would never know she's been through so much. Hope you enjoy the chicken! Sue

Anonymous :) said...

I wish I could get into cooking. It looks like the reward is worth the hassle.

Sue said...

Madison, some things really aren't much hassle. The recipes that I'm putting on this blog tend to be simple, fast and with little clean-up. The reward is in the taste, and in the money you can save.

koralee said...

What would my family do without Chicken...I think we would starve! A new chicken dinner to try..yahoo...my girls will love it! You are amazing...from now on I am checking out your blog before I make dinner!!!!!! I need to add you to my sidebar blogroll so I do not miss a single post!

JUST ME said...

I don't like balsamic. Couldn't tell you why. It's sacrilege because I'm Italian...but it makes me want to puke.

Sue said...

koralee-we eat a lot of chicken around here too.

jm-really? If you are Italian, you've probably tried the good stuff too. Oh well, I don't like lima beans!

Cindy said...

this might sound real blue collar but, the Great Value brand of Dijon Mustard is Awesome! (Walmart)

Sue said...

Cindy-I will try it. I have a Walmart Superstore near me, and buy many staples there. The Great Value stuff is taking over the shelves. I bought my first white label product last week-shredded wheat cereal, and it was fine. Thanks for the tip!

Gretchen said...

Oh that looks SO delicious!! The photos made me hungry and am drooling now! It's on my list of recipe's now! YUM! ~Gretchen

Holly Lefevre said...

That looks great. I have all the ingredients. Yippeee...it what's for dinner tonight. Thanks.
Holly @ 504 Main

Sue said...

Gretchen-Thanks for stopping by!

Holly-Don't you just love it when you already have the ingredients?

Kate said...

Oh this sounds so good! I'm going to have to try this one out.

Sue said...

Kate-the best part is that it is so simple. Thanks for the visit.