Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tablescape Thursday-Mom's Surprise Party



It is time again for my favorite blogging day, Tablescape Thursday. Please take a moment to join our hostess Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch. You will find some wonderful tablescapes.

It has been a very busy two weeks for me. I know I have missed reading some of your blogs and I am sorry! We were gone for 5 days to Michigan last week, getting home on Saturday evening. My parents arrived from Florida on Sunday and are staying at my house. My mom's birthday was Tuesday and we surprised her (sort of) with a party Monday night. We had dinner at a local restaurant, but the appetizers and dessert were at my house. Most of you can imagine how tricky it was to get the house, food and table ready…all while she was here! I arranged the flowers the night before and had them in the garage. I had all of the dishes on trays on the bar in the basement ready to come upstairs.



As I started putting things out on the table, she asked if I was doing one of “those table things” for the blog. I told her that I certainly was. So, I am sharing with you the appetizer portion of my wonderful mother’s birthday party. I’d love to share a picture, but she wouldn’t like that at all. Let’s just say that you would never guess my mom’s age if you met her.


I went with a fall theme and kept the appetizers simple because I had to (she was here) and because we were going out for a nice dinner. We purchased a variety of wines in Michigan and had our own wine tasting.


I used my pumpkins plates (HomeGoods) and the gold napkins tied with fall ribbons. The plate on the stand with the crackers, the votive candle holders and the basket with the napkins are all from a Southern Living at Home. I bought the iron candle holder at a little shop in Michigan.


This is my new favorite thing. We found it in a wine shop in Michigan. It is a slab of granite with handles to use as a cheeseboard or for appetizers. It can go in the oven if you want to keep things warm or the refrigerator to chill if you are serving cold foods. We both loved it and it just had to come home with us. As you can see, I kept it simple. Brie and an artisan cheese brought back from Michigan and fresh pear wedges.


The candleholder is from Cracker Barrel and really is supposed to be turned the opposite direction, but I liked it this way better. The breadsticks are in an antique wine glass and served with an olive spread. The Parmesan Cheese Biscuits I made before I left and tucked them in the freezer. I marinated some olives and offered a variety of crackers.




I took the flower picture with the flash so you could see the snapdragons. I was really surprised to find them around here this time of year.


My sister ordered the "Tiffany" cake from a The Cake Artist's Studio  in Champaign, IL. Isn't it gorgeous? It was a fun evening and I hope we celebrate many more with my mom.

25 comments:

Life Laugh Latte said...

You are outright...crazy! These are magnificent. Now my juices are flowing. Maybe I can pull something together in time for dinner tonight:) Come on by today. It's one of those posts I'm super proud of. I want my friend to see it. Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

Natasha in Oz said...

What a wonderful surprise for your mum. Hope she had a great birthday.Everything looks so special and that cake is a piece of art. Isn't that granite platter a fantastic idea!
Love this!
Best wishes, NM.

dee dee said...

Oh Sue,
What a lovely Birthday spread! Your flowers, candles, FOOD, excellent granite slab, did I say food :), napkins, plates... all just perfect for her celebration!
Dee Dee

Dining Delight said...

It must have been difficult to get that lovely little 'scape together and have it be a surprise. It looks very special, inviting and delicious. Your new granite plate sounds like a terrific item to have.

DD

Kathleen said...

It looks beautiful! I am sure your mom was thrilled! You did a great job..the cake is pretty too, but I love your flowers and appy's..
I have those plates too! And a platter to match.
The platter was a gift and then I found the plates in Marshall's for 70 cents..just salad size though..
Happy Bday to your mom!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh I'm sure that your mother felt very special with this party! Everything looks wonderful -- love your marble slab too. opps granite!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sue, Happy Birthday to your Mom! Where do I begin? I love everything. So well put together. Your selection of appetizers is yummy! I love the cheese tray- Icould think of 1,000 uses for that! Love the cake. We all should get a Tiffany's box for our birthdays.(I hope my husband reads this)
Yvonne

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Happy Birthday to your Mama Sue...and what a great table you put together for her...Love that cake...the flowers and all that YUMMY food..Glad you had a great trip Sue..and I want to guess your Mom age show us a pic ha ha!! Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

What a great birthday party table! I love you fall touches and all of your delicious appetizers. I also featured a party table full of appetizers for my Tablescape this week too. Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

The party looked wonderful with the great hor d's, the pears and cheese with the crackers, wow made me so hungry...the cake is to die for...

Kammy said...

How fun ! Love your setting and that cheese server is great !
Hugs ~ Kammy

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

This is so cool!! Oh, I love the slab of granite---what a neat idea especially the way it can go in oven or frig!! I WISH you could SNEAK a pic of your mom!!!!! Beautiful tablescape and unique! Love how you served the bread sticks, too.

susan said...

I know your mom was impressed--I am--both with how pretty everything is and your thoughtfulness! It sounds like a perfect evening. Finishing it off, with that gorgeous cake was...well, just the icing on the cake :)

nannykim/ spindle cottage said...

Oh, one more thing...you mentioned in a comment about wanting to drag a tree home with you--When I was visiting my daughter one year when she lived in Pittsburgh we were at a tree farm. In their barn where they sold different items they had a huge bare tree that they had painted white. They had it covered in white lights and Christmas balls in red and I think green. It looked awesome. I would love to do that on a smaller scale.....but don't know if I could find the right branches!

food with style said...

it all looks wonderful!

Julie said...

What a beautiful thing that you did for your mom...
xoxo
Julie

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Wonderful party! The cheese and crackers, the flowers and, well, everything..fabulous..and happy birthday to your Mom.
Susan

Unknown said...

Sue...what a gorgoeus table and that cake is outta this world. Happy Birthday to your Mom :)

Blessings!
Gail

Dena Pickle said...

Beautiful! and the cake is great too!
Happy Birthday!
Dena

koralee said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom...what a sweet daughter you are..everything looks amazing.

Gretchen said...

Wow! You are incredibly talented and I would imagine that the birthday party was fantastic by the sight of your gorgeous decorations and delicious looking food spread! ...and what a cake! Love it!

Rettabug said...

Sue, your Mom had to feel SOOOO special when she realized all that you had done for her birthday. I know I sure would have!
Your appetizer table is just lovely & I would like to save every single idea & recipe.
Please wish your Mom another "Happy Birthday" from me?

fondly,
Rettabug

J Rodney said...

That cake really does look fantastic, and your table is beautiful.

sweetjeanette said...

oh I love it! It's gorgeous, and those pumpkin plates are precious! Thanks for visiting my blog!

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! Thanks for sharing the table setting and the fabulous birthday cake. All is lovely and perfect for a celebration. ~ Sarah