Friday, December 4, 2009

My Most Requested Appetizer Recipe (Very Easy)


     It is Friday and that means it is time to see all those great recipes once again. Please visit Michael at Designs by Gollum for links to some of the best food you will ever see.

     I have discovered something since I started this blog. I've tried to post the recipes that are family favorites, requested by my kids and asked for when I offer to bring a dish somewhere. Believe it or not, I really can cook. I can cook the fancy stuff, with crab, brie cheese and desserts that require several steps. What I realize as I write the blog is that people really like my simple recipes. My most requested things are the easiest and don't necessarily include the fancy ingredients. The following recipe is definitely one of the easy ones.


At our house we call them Pitty-Pats, although I think they have various names in different locations. Men really love this appetizer, but so do their wives. You only need 4 ingredients and the recipe is so simple you will have it memorized. A pound, a pound and a pound.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:

1 pound of sausage (I use mild, if you like spice go for the medium or hot)
1 pound of ground beef
1 pound of Velveeta Cheese (I never buy Velveeta except for this and 2 other recipes)
1 loaf of the small cocktail bread (we like the rye, you can use the sour dough if you want) 




In a large saucepan, brown the sausage and the ground beef together until done. Drain.


Cut the Velveeta into chunks and add to the drained meat, put back on the heat on low. Stir occasionally until the cheese melts.


     I do realize it looks like the dog got sick, but it does taste really good. On a cookie sheet, place rows of the small bread slices and top each slice with a generous portion of the meat mixture.

     Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until the cheese mixture bubbles and the bread is turning lightly brown on the edges. I have been known to stick these under the broiler to cook them faster...watch them closely. The meat/cheese mixture freezes beautifully. Sometimes we make this and use it on regular bread and call it dinner. Enjoy!



28 comments:

Unknown said...

What a EASY!!! recipe. THANKS!!!
Geri

bj said...

wow...can't wait to try this one....

dee dee said...

Sue,
I had these before, but never had the recipe! I dread bringing appetizers because I'm never sure what to bring, but this is something that I could handle! Thank you for sharing....
Dee Dee

Shellbelle said...

Yes, this looks like a man-pleaser type of appetizer!

I agree on the simpler recipes also. I actually find more appealing recipes from our Foodie Friday participants than I see on the Food Network or in many cookbooks. Most nights I just want something simple and quick these days and save the "fancy" for guests. Even then, they usually want just good ol' homecookin'!

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

omgosh! I love these. They are delicious. Over here we call them "hanky pankys". Really, where do we come up with these names? Just looking at your pics is making my mouth water. I am going to have to make these soon. I also have a constantly requested appetizer - My easy-peasy nacho dip. I'll have to share my recipe sometime soon.
Thank you for stopping by to enter my giveaway and thank you for the well wishes.
Safe Travels to you and your family. Enjoy your time with your daughter!

Stephanie @ A Fine House

p.s. I hope you get your crock pot - I just love mine!

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, I love these. Here in Chicago, we call them Texas Toast! lol!!

xoxo
Jane

Jeanette said...

What an easy recipe. I love easy. Isn't it funny that we have to justify our purchase of velveeta! LOL

Life Laugh Latte said...

Yum...you know I make everything you tell me to! Come by later this weekend for some bling. Holly

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I've had something similar that is very tasty!
Enjoyed seeing this... though you made me hungry, Sue! I'll be right over. LOL!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Maria said...

I love all the names of this recipe! "Pitty-Pats" and "Hanky-Pankys."
They'll be the hit of the party!
~Maria
ps. I love the paper doily in the Foody Friday picture. I've never seen them at the supermarket. Is it the kind of thing you find at candy making shops?

Maria said...

Thank you for the help, Sue!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Good Morning Sue!- You were 8 of course!!!! Wow! Sue I am having a Christmas cookie exchange at 2:30 today, and I could have used this post a day ago- I would have made it. If it comes so highly recommended by you I know it must be good. Well, I will tag this for next time!
Yvonne

Terra said...

I like the cocktail rye bread so this recipe is intriguing.
Do you have any more ideas for the small rye bread slices?

Kim said...

I really want to try this one. Can't remember the last time I had Velveta. We always have lots of company in December. I think this would be good to have on hand for a Christmas movie night.

The Stylish House said...

My husband is going to love this one! Thanks for sharing.
Cathy

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I just found your blog and love it. Great recipes - I cant wait to try this!
Also... I just lost my mom (its ok, she was 95) but this did strike a note with me. Although...I think my kids would see the humour in the title as they are always phoning me from Heaven only knows where for some bit of advice! lol

FABBY'S LIVING said...

The recipe looks great and easy...can't wait to make it!

Thank you, everything is beautiful.

XOX
FABBY

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

I got this recipe from a co-worker many years ago and have been making it every holiday season since. It is a crowd-pleaser and a favorite among the men in our family. I'm getting ready to explore your other recipes since I know they are going to be as good as this one!
Tammy

Jenny said...

These sounds delicious! I'm going to copy this recipe to try at a family get together! Yum!

Grannys Attic said...

Hey,

This has always been a favorite among my co-workers. We use english muffins instead of the bread! Blessings, Vicky

Cindy said...

oh my goodness, my mom makes these every Christmas Eve to be part of the buffet! I don't know what she calls them but everyone loves them! I think I call them the"cheesy ground meat on little rye breadst"...so good.

MOVIE FAN said...

this is a good site keep posting in it
fullstuf
telugumoviegalaxy
moviejunctions

Unknown said...

My mom makes these every year! She will make a huge batch and then freeze them. When she needs a quick appetizer, she just pulls them out of the freezer and pops them under the broiler for a bit.

Unknown said...

My mom makes these every year! She will make a huge batch and then freeze them. When she needs a quick appetizer, she just pulls them out of the freezer and pops them under the broiler for a bit.

Ginger said...

I'm making these for Christmas. I freeze them before baking--they do well in the freezer, so you can have them on hand for anytime that you need a quick appetizer!

Unknown said...

My recipe is very similar to yours - I don't use hamburger meat and I add worcestershire sauce to the meat while it's cooking and I melt the Velveeta in the microwave and then add the cooked sausage to it. My mother made this for special occasions while I was growing up and now my kids beg for it at special occasions as well!

Kerry H said...

Added 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. So excellent. Just the way my dad made them 40 years ago!

Kerry H said...

Added 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. So excellent. Just the way my dad made them 40 years ago!