Friday, June 4, 2010

Come With Me To Pearl's...Foodie Friday

     Today for Foodie Friday, I decided to share with you some wonderful food that I didn't prepare, but I wish I could! Hidden in the small town of Elk Rapids, MI (just a few miles from Traverse City) is an unexpected surprise of a restaurant. Pearl's New Orleans Kitchen prepares food that tastes so much like what you get in New Orleans that if you close your eyes...you will think you are there. We made a point of going back for our second visit  when we were in Michigan in May and we were not disappointed. The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it is nothing short of "funky". The walls are lined with Jim Beam bottles and every kind of hot sauce you can imagine. There are Mardi Gras murals in the bathrooms, alligators hanging on the walls and you know you are going to have fun the minute you walk in the door. The food...is art and it tastes amazing.



My daughter and I shared cup of Crayfish and Corn Chowder ($3.49)


My dinner was called the Plantation Platter ($13.49). It was a combination of red bean cakes, fried green tomatoes and cheddar grits with greens. Yum!


My daughter had the Crayfish Risotto with Fried Green Tomatoes. It was perfect.



My husband had the Shrimp Po"Boy Sandwich ($8.49)


My dad and my husband loved the Gumbo Ya-Ya ($3.49)



Dad ordered Crayfish and Grits...so good!

I hope you enjoyed walking through this "gallery" of food from Pearl's. If you get a chance, you really should give this restaurant a try. Eat early, you will be very full. Please visit our hostess Michael @ Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday. You might want to have a snack before you look at all the wonderful foods posted.


    

11 comments:

koralee said...

Yummmmmm....I love Chowder! It is 6:30am in the morning and I so would love any of these lovely dishes...crazy I know.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Halfway through your post, I started to swoon. It all looks so delicious. Last weekend, I made a muffuletta for lunch, and as we were enjoying that the conversation went to po' boys and how we will have to try one this week....I take your post as an omen. Now we just have to decide whether to make it with shrimp or oysters.I Love your blog!

DUTA said...

The dishes are very photogenic. I trust you that they are also vey tasty. It looks like you've had a great family culinary event at "Pearl's..." restaurant.

Bill said...

It ALL looks wonderful! I'd love a little taste of everything you showed us ... well, maybe TWO bites of each!

Hope your weekend goes well!
Bill

Glennis said...

Wow, this all looks and sounds delicious!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Sue YUMMY!! now I'm hungry girl thanks...no really I'm hungry ha ha!! May you have a wonderful weekend my Dear friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Gypsy Heart said...

I love New Orleans style food...love it! All the dishes pictured look delicious & I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

xoxo
Pat

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sue, I grew up eating that type of cuisine, and I love it. Part of our family lived in Louisiana, and my parents were very fond of that style of food. So this all sounds DIVINE to me! So glad you all had this delightful meal and that you shared it with us. I enjoyed seeing it very much.

XO,

Sheila

Shellbelle said...

Drooling……………

Grits, fried green maters, shrimp, crayfish, omg, I want some right this very minute!

xinex said...

All that food look so scrumptious, Sue. You are making me hungry!...Christine

Angie said...

Looks delicious - great photos! I actually had grits for the first time during a trip to South Carolina last year. I'm not sure that they're up my alley, but I'm glad I tried them :) The Po'Boy sounds and looks fantastic.