Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Expect the Unexpected...Outdoor Wednesday

     When I first started this blog, I also started a separate blog to highlight some of our road trips. What I didn't know at the time was that I would never be able to do justice to two blogs, so I retired that blog months ago. I've decided to share an occasional post from that "other" blog. My early posts no one was reading anyway, so this will be new to almost all of you!


    You never know what you might discover while taking a road trip on a Saturday afternoon in Southern Illinois. On a drive to explore Stephen A. Forbes State Park, near Kinmundy, we came upon an unexpected sight. Imagine my surprise when we saw these lovely ladies celebrating in one of the picnic areas. They were having such fun, it was one of those moments you can't quite explain. It also gave me one of my favorite photos.


     Surrounded by trees and rolling hills, the park is a beautiful spot. There are several picnic areas, a clean swimming beach, a marina and campgrounds.





     We didn't pack a lunch, but we found sitting near the water, eating fritters from the restaurant at the marina a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.
 
 
     I am linking to Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday. Be sure to stop in and say hello! 
 

14 comments:

The Charm of Home said...

Sue,
You have some really nice shots. Traveling always inspires me to get out the camera.
Sherry

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your day trip - great photos.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful, restful place. lovely photos.

Unknown said...

i forgot to mention--your header photo is absolutely stunning.

Rettabug said...

Hey Lady...between your shots of those fritters & the prior post regarding chocolate & wine, I think I'm gaining wt. just visiting you here!! LOL Great attitudes expressed in both posts. GO FOR IT!!!

dee dee said...

Sue,
What a beautiful park! Your photos captured the tranquility, the fun and some very yummy food!
Dee Dee

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

What beautiful pictures!! We live in southeast Missouri which is close to southern Illinois and it is just beautiful country!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a wonderful place to sit and enjoy those fritters. Boy, those look yummy!

nannykim said...

Oh my ohmy oh my!! I love the one of the ladies! That is the coolest--love the soft pastels of their clothing! I have linked up to out door wed here: http://nannykim-nannykim.blogspot.com/

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What pretty pics Sue!
You captured the moment so well.
Cool pics of the ladies and their dresses.
Hugs,
Cindy

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Beautiful pictures....sitting by the lake and eating fritters....what could be better??

Linda said...

What a wonderful time you had! I love all your shots, but the one with the ladies was my favorite! I wonder what they were celebrating...life I guess!!

Unknown said...

LOVELY outing great pics. Jenn

Relyn Lawson said...

Have you ever been to Springfield, IL? That's another road trip I think you would adore.