Monday, October 25, 2010

Taking Tea With Alice-Table Top Tuesday


     While dusting a shelf today, I came across a book I had forgotten I had. It is the sweetest book about tea parties and pretty things. I took a few minutes to stop and read through the pages.


     I drink tea every day, so does my husband. I even make my tea with tea leaves instead of tea bags most of the time. What I forget to do, is "make it pretty"! I tend to make my tea in an oversized mug, carrying it around the house with me as I do whatever I'm doing that day. Tea should be special sometimes. It should be elegant.


     It doesn't always have to be a "party" for several guests. There doesn't have to be course after course of scones and little sandwiches. Sometimes taking tea can simply be a pretty cup, a fresh flower and a simple cookie. It is more about how it feels than how it looks!


     So, I poished my favorite sterling silver tray. I got out my white teapot with pastel blossoms and the matching cups and I made some tea.


     The cups and teapot were a gift from my parents for Christmas several years ago. They  are Sadler Wellington, fine bone china.


A few lingering roses from my yard add a touch of color.


I like my tea with just a little sugar.


The napkins are actually paper hand towels.
I love to use them as napkins because of their size and shape.


Now that is how we should enjoy a cup of tea.
Don't you think we would feel so much better
if we would savor the moment once in a while?

*Taking Tea With Alice was written in 1997.
There appears to be a newer edition currently available on Amazon.


I am linking today with:

Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Lady Katherine @ Lady Katherine Tea Parlor for Tea Time Tuesday
Kathleen @ Faded Charm for White Wednesday
    



23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Savoring the moment, Sue. Perfect advice amd beautiful tea.

Pondside said...

My mother vows that tea tastes best from a china cup and I agree. What do you think?

Unknown said...

G'eve Sue ~ Absolutely perfect ... such a soothing & relaxing time I've had with you. TY

Have a BOO-TEA-FUL week ~
Hugs, Marydon

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Your tea set is so pretty. When I drink tea it is just in a mug, too.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I have never been much of a hot tea drinker, but with that kind of setting I might be tempted.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sue what an elegant tea you have set my Dear friend...and how special to have that tea set from your Mama..I know that you will always cherish it girl..Just PRICELESS...I hope all is well in your world today my Dear friend..Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
ps Thank you for entering my 2 year blog BD your one of my best and loyal followers girl..

Gypsy Heart said...

So beautiful, Sue! Wish I had been there to share the tea and time with you. I love things like this...and we should pamper ourselves like this more often.

Have a beautiful week!
xo
Pat

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a lovely post, Sue. Just beautiful!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jacqueline said...

What a beautiful tea set. You set quite a wonderful table for us to enjoy. Thanks, it helped warm me and relax me on this snowy (can you believe it) day.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Lovely Sue
Tea made in pots and served with bread and jam always reminds me of my childhood neighbour.. I loved popping in to her place and although she had very conservative taste and style.. I always felt that little bit pampered going through the 'ceremony' of taking tea!!

You've brought back some lovely memories for me.. xxx Julie

La said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing! La

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, just stunning. Your table is exquisite, all the yummy food and the beautiful china. Gorgeous. Thanks for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Jocelyn said...

I love taking tea and enjoying beautiful china. It always makes tea more enjoyable :-)

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

dee dee said...

Sue,
What a beautiful post, the china and tea service is stunning. It would be so much fun if we could enjoy high tea together sometime!
Dee Dee

xinex said...

This is abeautiful tea set up, Sue. I love it!! Love all the pastel colors, so sweet!...Christine

BrightenedBoy said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my singing post. I left a reply for you.

koralee said...

I am all for a tea party my friend...I will be right over. xxoxo

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
I am with you, I think we really need to pamper ourselves once in awhile and make it really pretty. It makes it so enjoyable, and fun!
A great break from the day to day routine.
Blessings, Nellie

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

This is lovely..We all need to take time out of our day and sit down and relax. We all need some pink in our lives. You have a very pretty tea set....Enjoy!

Rebecca said...

Yummy-I'll be right over!

Jenny said...

Good morning! I am totally willing to help you out here and come to tea! Such a good reminder that the simple things can be made special. Lovely post, Miss Sue.

Sophie said...

Sweet!

The twins are still very into tea time. But now they are obsessed with Japanese tea houses and bug to go all the time to this over in Rockford that I found.

Monica H said...

"It is more about how it feels than how it looks!"

Amen to that, though I think it is beautiful! I'm not a tea drinker...do you think I could have a coffee party? :-)