Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Around The House


     My January decor is fairly simple. After having Christmas decorations, I actually love the "empty" spaces that are left when I put them away. This year, because my Christmas theme was a natural look, I left out several items and just shifted them around a bit. I did add the books you see in the above picture. I brought them home from my dad's place when we were there. They were my mother's books and I remember reading them when I was a child. I actually have my own Oz book from my childhood. The top book is a Shirley Temple book. 



     The cookbook doesn't exactly match the rest of the items on the table, but it has recipes from various holiday meals and treats at Disney. My daughter gave it to me for my birthday and I think your home should reflect things you love at the moment...things don't always have to "look perfect"! 



     My daughter also gave us the coasters for Christmas and they made me cry. Each one has a photo...some are of our old Nike (above-she has been gone since May) and some have our Zoe. There is one that has the rare photo of the two of them together. I am a total softy where my pups are concerned. The older Zoe gets (she is now 16 months) the more we see similarities to Nike. Maybe it is a beagle thing!


     The library table has a simple arrangement of winter things. I was going to change out the red candles, but I liked the pop of color on our gray winter days.


     I moved the quilt I used at Christmas to the other library table, added another pop of red and my winter wooden moose and branches. Every day I try to decide if I'm going to pull the quilt off the table...I'm having a real love/hate relationship with it. I think it may be put away today. I loved it at Christmas, but in general it is a bit too country for my house.


     The top of the china cabinet is also a very simple antique wooden bowl with "snowballs", dried hydrangeas and a lone pine cone. The picture we found at HomeGoods after Christmas. It is a winter scene with a bit of Christmas (the tree has lights, the house a wreath) but I thought it could go up for a little while without looking as if I forgot to take down the decorations. It was on sale for $5! You have to love HomeGoods!


     The big news around here is that we bought a new mattress! It isn't exciting, you can't see it and it is sort of like buying underwear...it is expensive and not fun. Our old mattress was 9 years old and we had been complaining about it for at least the last 3 years. I actually think it should have lasted much longer, but the store went out of business and we couldn't do anything about it. So, after adding a foam topper to get by a while longer...we both decided that we could no longer stand to sleep in a huge dent on our sides of the bed and we were tired of waking up with everything hurting. I did a lot of research this time and hopefully, we made a good choice. Did you realize that if you don't purchase the matching box springs, the mattress warranty is void? Did you realize that if you have a single spot of anything on the mattress the warranty is void, therefore you are almost forced to buy a waterproof cover for your mattress (add another $70). We learned several things with this purchase and it was delivered Friday. So far, it feels very different than our old one and I think we chose well. Fingers crossed! 

     I am joining Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday 
and
Kim @ Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

Please visit our lovely hostesses!




16 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

It took me awhile to fluff things up after Christmas and I was happy to leave out a few wintry things, too. Your tables look perfect, I love the old books. And I feel a trip to HomeGoods coming on!

We so need a new mattress and just keep getting sidelined. You are so right, totally like getting underwear! lol! Hubby likes firm and I like soft...we have pretty much broken this one in but it is SO old, I just can't imagine the dust and grime in it! Did you get yours at a store or a bedding shop?

Stay warm, Sue!

XO,
Jane

Ricki Treleaven said...

What sweet coasters! And I do love Beagles. Reminds me of Wendy, my cousins' childhood dog whom I fed (along with my grandmother....they lived next door). Anyway, your decor is so pretty for winter. :D

xo,
RJ

Completely Coastal said...

I always love naturey things from the outside around the house! Hope you'll be happy with the mattresse. I can't say that I ever bought one for top dollar. Regarding shell mosaic..., I agree. Would be awesome for an outside fireplace.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

OZ books! I have a few from childhood and love them! Great decorating jewels as well. So nice to hear from you! I've been taking time off from blogging to write a play of monologues for women, THE RED DRESS DIARIES! Have a beautiful day!
Coralie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

We need a new mattress, too. Ours is at least 12 years old or more. I've lost count. I know they are so expensive. My mom says to get the sleep number bed. She loves hers.

Unknown said...

TY for your swete visit today. Sherry is ok, she's just had a crunch heavy load at work the past few months & hasn't been able to have any leisurely time. It has been grueling. TY for asking tho.

Have a lovely eve ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Lynn said...

I agree Sue, a nice pop of red does brighten up the winter days! Everything looks very nice-enjoy:@)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty Winter vignettes! I know the books are real treasures as they were your Mother's, and love the coasters. Thanks for sharing with us. I need to do some "fluffing" around here.

Patrice said...

I'm going to have to visit HomeGoods one of these days - it's a little out of the way, but I love what I see!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Love that picture you got at Home Goods, I love that place too!
Have found some good deals in there too. Well, red is my pop of color for my house too, all Winter long........

Have a good evening,
Blessings, Nellie

NanaDiana said...

I'm with you, Sue. I like simple after the Holidays, too. I pare things down and just enjoy the fresh clean look of it all. Everything looks very nice and peaceful at your home.
We bought a new mattress a few years ago...a VERY expensive mattress and it was the best money we ever spent. I hope you love yours, too. xo Diana

bj said...

I love your olden books. I like decorating with books.

We, too, bought a new mattress a couple yrs ago and it's wonderful.
Now, go take a nap on YOUR new one.:)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Everything looks amazing. I so agree, after the holidays, I just need peace and calm. YOur vignettes are all wonderful. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty your after Christmas fluffing looks -- I got sick right after Christmas and mine stayed up until last weekend. This year I have kept one Snowman tree up and I'm enjoying just a lingering bit of leftovers. Enjoy some good rest on your new mattress.

Gypsy Heart said...

A great mattress & box springs make all the difference don't they? I gave up my king size furniture when I moved the last time and thus had to purchase new...got a queen size and it's wonderful!

I so agree about the "perfection" level. I like a home to look lived in and enjoyed, not sterile and perfect all the time. That's the way I grew up and it was miserable!

xo
Pat

Sophie said...

I didn't know there were Shirley Temple books.